Lasers in Dentistry and Hygiene
In an informative and in-depth presentation, Chris Owens,D.D.S. will lead attendees through the exciting world of lasers in dentistry and periodontal therapy.
The course will cover laser physics, safety and tissue interaction as well as demonstrating techniques for success with laser periodontal therapy.
Participants will not only learn through slide and video presentations but will also have the opportunity to perform live hands on exercises.
Each participant upon satisfactory completion of the course will receive 8 CE credit hours and Associate Fellowship Certification through the World Clinical Laser Institute.
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of the training program you will be able to:
- Diagnose and perform all types of soft tissue procedures with lasers.
- Explain how lasers used in periodontal therapy achieve their effect on biological tissue.
- Differentiate laser light from natural light.
- Be familiar with laser tissue interaction.
- Specify factors which influence the effects a laser has on biological tissue.
- Indicate the specific effects thermal thresholds have on biological tissue.
- Specify wavelength and operating parameters of lasers you are using.
- Review safe and effective set-up, operation and maintenance of the laser systems
You will learn how to incorporate lasers into the periodontal department:
- What is involved in a typical laser appointment.
- How to determine which patients are laser candidates and to introduce this form of dental care to the patient.
- Soft tissue and periodontal applications for lasers besides curettage.
- Average Fees for Various Dental Laser Procedures
- Most commonly used insurance codes
You will also learn how to answer the most common patient questions regarding laser dentistry:
- I was in good shape when I was in there two years ago, what happened?
- I was in here six months ago, why didn't you find this before?
- My teeth feel okay (or my gums don't bleed), what do you mean I have a disease?
- You haven’t probed my gums like that before, why now?
- How are you going to get the infection out of there?
- Are you going to remove my gums?
- Are you qualified to do this treatment?
- This is all new stuff, does it work better?
- Is this treatment good forever? Will I have to have this done again?
What Are Laser Periodontal Procedures?
One of the most popular laser periodontal procedures involves using specific lasers as an adjunct to the sulcular debridement process. The laser light is delivered to the sulcus using a flexible fiber optic, designed to focus energy and selectively vaporize diseased tissue while leaving healthy tissue intact. The laser also vaporizes bacterial tissue toxins and in some cases has proven to delay the re-population of certain bacteria.
Bacterial reduction (specifically Porphyromanas gingivalas, Provotella intermedia and Actinobacillus acetinomycetem comitans) appears to coincide with significant pocket reduction and a decrease of bleeding on probing, hence assisting in the treatment of periodontal disease. Wavelength is a very important consideration of this procedure as the treatment objective is to selectively remove diseased tissue at a very shallow depth of penetration with adequate coagulation and minimal post-operative discomfort. Current studies are focusing on bone regeneration realized as a result of laser periodontal procedures with specific wavelengths.
The benefits of this procedure attributed to the use of the laser are many. The small size and flexibility of the fiber optic delivery system provides for easy access to the pocket. The laser-assisted procedure is considerably faster than traditional methods and also results in less bleeding, less post-op pain and discomfort and less trauma than traditional mechanical debridement. Initial studies indicate that specific lasers initiate a process of bacterial decontamination resulting in delayed pathogenic bacterial re-population. The vast majority of adult patients could realize benefit from this type of procedure and based on its minimally invasive nature, patient acceptance is high.
Participants successfully completing the day and passing the exam will receive 8 CE credits and Associate Fellowship Certification through the World Clinical Laser Institute.
ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE
Laser Physics and Safety
Laser Clinical Procedures
Lunch and Learn
Laser Hygiene Periodontal Applications
Mid-Afternoon Break 3:15-3:45
WCLI Certification Examination / Q&A
Hands on Exercises
For customers who purchase and complete one of our live courses and would like access to the online version we will provide a link and password to the online course for up to one month after course completion at no additional charge. This offer valid only for customers that sign up and pay Advanced Laser Training directly, not valid for Laser Company covered courses, not valid with any discount or special offer.